About the Area
• East York was formally its own municipality within the city of Toronto but was amalgamated into the Toronto “megacity” in 1998. Prior to the amalgamation into Toronto, East York was Canada’s only borough.
• The border lies on the Don River and the neighbourhood is populated by middle class people.
• For the most part the area is filled with working class homes and high rise buildings.
• The population of East York is approximately 112,000 people.
• In the past East york was populated by mostly British people. That has shifted slightly and East York has become a popular arrival point for immigrants.
• East York was originally part of York Township. Following the incorporation of the Township of North York in 1922, York Township was divided by Toronto, Leaside and North Toronto. With the rapid growth that followed the opening of the Bloor-Danforth (Prince Edward) Viaduct in 1919, the residents of the eastern half of York Township (as an exclave of the western half) felt they had been neglected by the township when it came to roads, sewers and other municipal services. Left with the option to either join the City of Toronto or branch out on its own, 448 East Yorkers voted to incorporate a new township, while 102 voted to amalgamate with Toronto. The Township of East York was incorporated on January 1, 1924 with a population of 19,849. The western half of York Township retained its name.
• East York was originally populated by working class English people who valued the opportunity to own small homes of their own, with front lawns and back gardens. Many had immigrated from Lancashire and Yorkshire. In 1961, 71.7% of the population identified themselves as having British origins.
• In the late 1940s, after World War II, East York became home to many returning veterans and their families. Many inexpensive homes were built, including the houses around Topham Park, by the government, to house the returning veterans and the baby boomers. The local government was both socially conscious and frugal, fitting the residents’ self-image of East York as filled with supportive neighbours and non-government organizations.
• As a result the East York homes are mostly semi detached or bungalows. There are also quite a few hi-rise apartment buildings.
• St Patrick Catholic Secondary School
• Eastern Commerce Collegiate Institute
• Monarch Park Secondary School
• Don Mills Collegiate Institue
• RH McGregor Elementary School
• Parkside Elementary School
• Pape Avenue Junior Public School
• St Bernadette Catholic School
• Chester Elementary School
• East York Collegiate Institute, Secondary School
• Marc Garneau Collegiate Institute, Secondary School
• Leaside High School
• Adult Education Centre
• The East York Civic Centre is located at Mortimer and Coxwell.
• It was formerly the municipal office of the Borough of East York.
• Since 1998, the offices are no longer in use as council chambers. The East York Community Council became the Downtown Community Council (later renamed Toronto East York Community Council) and sits at Toronto City Hall. From 2002 to 2005, the council chambers were used to hold public hearings in the Toronto Computer Leasing Inquiry. It now houses various committee offices and city services department for residents of East York. A farmer’s market takes place at the Civic Centre from May to November.
• East York is home to many parks, playgrounds and sports facilities do to its large population of families.